Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 3: About My Job

In September 2010 I graduated (after 6 long years!) with my doctorate in physical therapy. I am working as a physical therapist at a large level one trauma hospital, have been there almost a year now! I have seen alot of things that people wouldn't even believe. My co workers and I always joke that we should write a book, but no one would believe any of it!

I absolutely love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything (although I may say differently after a bad day or a long discussion with a silly doctor!) I think what makes it so appealing to me is the combination of helping people that really need it as well as meeting new people every single day!

Now, not every patient is friendly (or completely with it mentally). I've been hit, scratched, bit, peed on, pooped on, and a patient even grabbed my butt one day. My job is also multi functional most of the time, getting pt's cleaned up, changing sheets, etc. But in the end, my goal is to get people up and moving. The unit I am on right now is an overflow unit, so we see everything except trauma. I have a lot of abdominal surgery patients and general medical (like people with pneumonia or a fall). The unit is about 40 beds so it's never a dull moment!!

I think my favorite patients are the cute elderly men and women who are like grandparents to you when you walk in. I also get lots of marriage advice from people. One of my patients had been married for 77 years! #1 piece of advice received so far: Be tolerant! :)

No comments: