Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book Catch Up Post

I've read 4 books since I've last updated my 50 books in 2011 goal. Brief review and rating of each book:

Book #3: Shiver- Maggie Steifvater
Young adult novel. The font is blue to match the cover. I gave this book a 4 star rating. Sam is a wolf, Grace is a high schooler who was attacked by wolves as a child and saved by Sam. They fall in love (obvious, right?) This was a good, quick read with a decent plot.

Book #4: Linger- Maggie Steifvater
Sequel to Shiver. The font is green to match the cover, which I found unique. I gave this book 4 stars as well. It was a continuation of Sam and Grace's triumphs and difficulties as a couple. A new character/wolf, Cole, complicates things a bit, almost destroying the pack. Grace and Sam struggle a lot more in this novel than the first making for a more interesting plot. There were times I just wanted to yell at the book! The 3rd book in the series (Forever) will be out in July.

Book #5: My Stroke of Insight- Jill Bolte Taylor
2.5 stars. I picked up this book thinking it was going to be great. The author is a neuroanatomist who suffers a stroke. This book is an account of her lift before, during, and after her stroke. As a physical therapist that sees stroke patients on a regular basis, this was very intriguing to me. However, only a small portion of the book was dedicated to her account. The rest of the book was dry and seemed more like the author was trying to make us all believe what she believes. The brain is a mysterious and powerful part of the body that is capable of amazing things. This book just took a long time for me to get through and wasn't presented in the manner I thought it would.

Book #6: Hex Hall- Rachel Hawkins
5 stars. Sophie is a teenage witch that uses her power in front of too man humans and is sent to Hecate Hall, a school for paranormal teenagers. She doesn't exactly fit in with everyone and makes some enemies along the way. She also finds out more about herself and her family than she ever knew before. This book had a good plot, it sucked me in and I finished it in one day. The sequel, Demonglass, came out earlier this year and I am looking forward to reading it!


I am currently less than 75 pages away from finishing book #7, look for my review!

No comments: