Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

It's fall and the chill is finally in the air here in New England. My dining room table and front door are decorated with leaves, pumpkins, and pinecones. But the house was lacking something...ah, yes- the smells of fall!! So tonight I decided it was time...time for what? Pumpkin Bread!

















Pumpkin Bread
From Carrie's Sweet Life, originally AllRecipes

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7×3 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.



The Changes: I didn't have cloves so I added allspice instead. I only used 2 loaf pans that were a little bigger than the recommended size, but I overfilled them. This resulted in my bread needing 70 minutes to cook through.

The Verdict: If I wasn't in a hurry and trying to take it out of the pan before it was cooled, it would be great. Instead, the bottom stuck to the pan and the rest of the loaf came out. Not too bad, though. I will grease the bottom of the pan a bit better next time. However, the flavor was great!! The bread is moist and you can taste the pumpkin and all the spices!

No comments: